Sunday, April 7, 2013

Time is running


Here's a picture I took of my youngest daughter's hand in mine when she was a baby. She recently turned 5 and will be in kindergarten this fall. My oldest will become a teenager this summer, and is getting dangerously close to looking me in the eye. My twins are only 9 (yeah, both of 'em) and both are already smarter than me.

It hasn't been that long ago that I figured I'd be an old bachelor. Now I'm telling my kids to avoid all the dumb things I did, and I find myself having uncomfortable talks about things like sex and drugs. I'm forced to listen to music that makes me want to jam ball-point pens in my ears, and I'd wager that I have at least 600 single, unmatched socks of various size and color in various boxes and baskets around the house.

In my single years, a friend with kids asked when I was going to start a family. "I can't even keep my houseplants alive," was my response. What did he have to say about that?

"You do what you have to do."

He didn't tell me it was going to go by this quick.

By the way, is it just me, or does it look like that picture has some kind of evil eye peeping out between my fore and middle fingers?

No comments: