Saturday, April 6, 2013

Cover Me

I've been known to sing karaoke a few times. It's fun, and a little easier if you've partaken in a bit of liquid courage. A buddy's wedding reception back in the day had a karaoke DJ for musical entertainment, and I thought it worked out well. Some are better than others on the stage, but it's fun either way.

Performers at the professional level, however, don't get as much slack, which brings me to the subject of remakes. My theory is this: If you're going to cover a song and try to sell it to the public, don't just do a karaoke version of someone else's song. Case in point? How about Keith Urban having his way with Steve Forbert's "Romeo's Tune" from the 70s? If you're going to remake a song, then remake it! Do something different. Earn your damn money.

The Indigo Girls have done two great remakes that come immediately to mind, Bob Dylan's "Tangled up in Blue" and Dire Straits' "Romeo and Juliet." I like remakes that trade genres like Dwight Yoakam's cover of The Clash's "Train in Vain." The Gourds put a brilliant bluegrass spin on Snoop Doggy Dog's "Gin and Juice," while Johnny Cash made Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" his own.

Not that I'm fishing for comments, but what are your favorite covers? I always appreciate a new musical lead...

No comments: